Project Gigabit

The government is on a mission to deliver lightning-fast, reliable broadband to everyone in the UK. It is investing £5 billion in Project Gigabit to ensure that hard-to-reach communities are not left out.

The project aims to provide world-class ‘gigabit-capable’ connectivity with speeds of up to 1000Mbps (megabits per second) to at least 85% of UK premises by December 2025 and at least 99% by 2030.

The project is technology neutral, which means it can be delivered via any gigabit-capable network technology, such as Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP – the preferred method), Hybrid Fibre Coax (DOCSIS 3.1+) and wireless connectivity (i.e. Fixed Wireless Access or 5G).

However, all of these technologies must still meet specific technical criteria in order to be eligible for gap funding under the Project Gigabit procurement programme being conducted by DCMS.

Around 80% of coverage is expected to be achieved by the deployment programmes of commercial providers, leaving Project Gigabit to focus on the final 20% (around 5-6 million premises in the more rural and semi-rural areas.

CSW will be overseeing this work in the region that encompasses Warwickshire, Leicestershire and the surrounding areas.